Prejudice is a word that is often associated solely with race. However, the truth is that we pre-judge all the time based upon countless factors, including gender, age, race, beliefs, politics, or any other infinite number of minute differences; it is a common habit for all of humanity to form an opinion without facts, firsthand experience, and without empathy and value for our fellow man. What if these habits changed? What if our default response was first to love, to learn, and to listen?
In ‘Unmasking Prejudice: Silencing the Internal Voice of Bigotry’, Dr. Melodye Hilton thoughtfully addresses:
- The many faces of prejudice and bigotry;
- Pre-judgment and assumption as societal stumbling blocks;
- The dangers of gossip, rumors, and slander;
- The personal pain of prejudice through real-life stories; and
- Our responsibility as humans to stop devaluation by representing a restorative influence.
‘Unmasking Prejudice: Silencing the Internal Voice of Bigotry’ invites all of us to recognize and remove the hidden masks of prejudice so that we can have a hand in changing the cultural narrative and bringing healing to our land.